I'm normal! I'm normal!

For the first time I can remember so, about the last 18 years, every time I went to the doctor I was told I was overweight. As a kid, my doctor never made me feel bad about it but those words always lingered. It got to the point as a teen that I avoided the scale, and my doctor, as much as humanly possible. I really just didn't want to face it and I didn't think I could change it.  Let's fast forward to yesterday. I had my annual appointment and I got weighed. The nurse and my doctor were floored.  I've lost 11 BMI points and about 60lbs since I started going to her. I started seeing this doctor about a year before I started trying to lose weight. When I was weighed I even mentioned that I thought it was 7lbs off... as in it put my weight at less than it is.  My doctor laughed at my honesty but really, if I don't lose 7lbs before this time next year, I don't want it to seem like I gained weight!!

My doctor said to me "Well, I'm really happy to tell you that you now fall well within a normal weight for your height. Congratulations!"

This may not seem like a big deal to too many people but, this is the part of my physical I dread year after year after year.  I was almost brought to tears.  It's the one thing I had been working so hard to achieve and to have someone tell me that I'm no longer overweight just overwhelmed me. 

Even after achieving everything I have, and surpassing the goal I set out for myself to hear those words, that was the ultimate prize.  I realized in that moment that all this hard work? Well, all I was really trying to do was be "normal."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls