January Challenge - Half way update!

I've made it to the  half way point in the January Fitness Challenge! So far so good, I've actually stuck to my goals and followed through on everything I said I would.

Here is a little recap on my goals for this month: 
- Reduce Added Sugar (No alcohol, no sweets/dessert, no sugar in my coffee/tea or anything else, no artificial sweetener) 
- Gym minimum 2x a week 
- January Fitness Challenge Calendar 
- Calorie counting for 31 days

So how have I been doing? On Jan 1 I weighed myself. Bad news, those 5lbs I had lost packed themselves back on during the holidays. I was one part discouraged and one part motivated.  I was starting back from the beginning but, I was going to really focus and kick my own butt this time around. I've really stuck to it and haven't cheated on my goals. 

As of Sunday, I've lost 7lbs.......7lbs in 15 days! I really can't believe it, and hardly believe it's possible. I've never lost that fast. Maybe it's the calorie counting? Maybe it's the reduced added sugar? Maybe it's the ramp up in exercise?  Probably a little bit of everything. This means I am only 13lbs away from my goal. I'm feeling accomplished and motivated.

The sugar part of this month has been hard. I crave random sugary treats that normally I wouldn't eat or want or crave.  It does crazy things! I have been less bloated and overall feel healthier. The first week was definitely the hardest, I had bad headaches, felt generally cranky and unpleasant but, it passed. I've recently discovered if I eat frozen fruit, it's sweet enough and takes care of some of my cravings.
For the exercise portion, I have restarted the Couch to 10k program (ZenLabs has a great app for this!) and am working my way through that, mixed in with some lifting days to keep my muscles and metabolism healthy. This means I often need to get to the gym 3x per week. It's been a bit challenging but, I'm working hard to make it happen. 

I know people get a lot out of exercise, they say it makes them feel good and that it gives them energy for the day. I still don't get those results, it's still a chore to me.  I keep at it because I need to.  Maybe one of these days things will change and for now, I'm just motivated to improve my health and lose a few pounds.
 
Side note....we have a February challenge coming up in "Strong and Healthy", feel free to join us. We've got a great group of people who have come together to work toward a healthier version of themselves. We all have different personal goals and we keep each other motivated. 
https://www.facebook.com/groups/245677619282854/






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

MyFitnessPal

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls