How the Summer is Treating Me

This is one of my favourite somecards. It's hilarious and so very true!


Lately I've been having trouble finding the time and the motivation to hit the gym.  After going so hard and so strong for so long, I think I got a little burnt out by the intensity.  I admit I haven't been to the gym in a week.. maybe even two now?  I haven't been running either, but of course I'm not supposed to be. The majority of exercise is coming from doing lots of walking and I've started spending time biking again. 

We decided to get our bikes tuned up this summer, make the investment to actually use the bikes we have that were collecting dust or being used by other family members. Jeff and I did a 20km bike ride mid last week. By the time the evening rolled around my legs just ached and ached but I must admit it is nice to get outside and get moving on something that allows wind to keep me cool and moves me faster than running.  In that workout I still burned over 600 calories - that's a whole extra meal for me!! 

I need to find a way to get excited about exercise again. To set new goals and to stick to them.  I had so many goals and got so motivated for such a long period of time.  I thought my fitness evaluation would rejuvenate my spirits but honestly, I think it did the exact opposite. My lack of motivation hit not too long after that. Hearing that I'd worked so hard but not done enough really shook me.

In my defense, my personal life has been really busy and so has my work life. By the time I get home from the office I'm ready to just crawl into bed or set my mind into a state of total nothingness for a little while. The constant rainy weather doesn't help either, who wants to go anywhere when it's pouring?

If only weight loss and this lifestyle was as easy as it is to do so many other things. I often find myself wishing I was born with a normal metabolism or a love for athletics. Unfortunately, I don't have either of them. I guess this whole thing has allowed me to appreciate myself a little bit more, and keep me conscious of not wanting to slip up. 

I'm also happy to report that I really only use MyFitnessPal at night to log what I ate for the day, I'm now eating without checking calories every time food goes into my mouth.  The great thing is I very rarely go over my calories and it's all mentally calculated now. I love the program so I continue to use it but I don't feel the same chained to it feeling and was actually able to enjoy my vacation. I logged 3 days worth off food on my ride home from Boston.  I didn't feel any guilt about not using it either - that's new!

I hope all of you are keeping up with your diet and/or exercise and are staying motivated and healthy. Send a little bit of motivation my way and give me a swift kick in the butt to get back at it, I need it!

Comments

  1. I don't think you need to be offering up any "defense" but if it's a kick in the butt you need then I suggest alternate back kicks every morning when you wake up for at least 15 min - you could also add a skipping rope and maybe a song as well.....56 pounds!! ..and you're defending what??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about doing skipping, from what I've read it is a fabulous bit of exercise! I'm trying out HIIT too, it's just hard to keep at it without goals :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls