Happy Thanksgiving! (lots of fall recipes)

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I hope you've all had a wonderful thanksgiving and are yourselves in a delicious food coma.

There is so much to be thankful for; family, friends, furbabies, food in our tummies and roofs over our heads.  Last thanksgiving was rough for me. Being on such a strict diet made me irritable and frustrated looking at all the delicious food.  This year, though I ate in moderation I definitely enjoyed the food coma a little more.  Here are some photos of some of the desserts and some links to their recipes.


Our mom's requested these again this year and they were a big hit. Date squares! Here is the recipe, I cut the sugar and margarine in half for the crust/topping but otherwise use the recipe as is.
http://www.thekitchenmagpie.com/date-squares



Homemade cranberry sauce is maybe my favourite part of Thanksgiving.  This is how I make it:
2.5 cups cranberries
1 cup of water
1/2 cup of sugar

I bring the water and sugar to a boil, add cranberries and let them boil until all the cranberries have popped. Set aside to cool.




Another favourite, Apple Crumble. MMMM. I made a few and have 3 more in my freezer waiting to be eaten. 

I peel and chop up 4 tart apples. I mix together 1 tsp of cinnamon and 4 tsp of sugar and sprinkle over top of the apples.  For the topping, I mix 1 cup of oats, 2 tbsp light margarine,  2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp of flour and a dash of salt. I mix all the dry ingredients, add the melted margarine, crumble over top. Bake at 350*F for 50-60 minutes.



Another winning recipe from this fall was homemade apple sauce in the slow cooker. You can check out the recipe here:
http://leanerbythelake.com/jans-homemade-apple-sauce/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls