Lighter Chocolate Chip Muffins!


Who doesn't love a good Chocolate Chip Muffin??  I love them but really haven't made them in a long time - too much sugar, too many calories.   There was a recipe I was really wanting to try and lighten up and since our iron chef ingredient for the week was chocolate, it gave me the perfect excuse. The part that intrigued me about this recipe was that it called for sour cream. I'd never seen that before! These will now be a staple "goodie" in our home, I love them!

I made a quite few changes to the original recipe, so here is how I made it: 

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup of sugar
2 tsp light margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.  Set aside.  Mix all the wet ingredients together (I used my KitchenAid stand mixer as per usual.) Add the dry to the wet and mix together until it creates a dough (it will seem kind of sticky/thick.) Line muffin pan with cupcake liners. Fill each one about 3/4 full, recipe will make a full 12 muffins.  Put in the oven for 16 minutes (the original recipe said 14-18 minutes and 16 minutes baked mine perfectly.)

Calories: 148 calories/muffin.  They do not taste low cal either, they are just absolutely delicious!

Original Recipe:
http://www.thecurvycarrot.com/2011/04/13/chocolate-chip-sour-cream-muffins/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls