MyFitnessPal

MyFitnessPal is were it all began. Well, kind of.

I've been fortunate over the last year and a half of my life to get to know a wonderful group of women through TheKnot.com.  We were all getting married in August 2011 and helped each other with wedding planning. How we all found ourselves on that message board was in my mind a miracle.  We continued to keep in touch and it is because of some of these wonderful women I even heard of MyFitnessPal.

After months of seeing some of these women trying it out I started to think about it.  In January 2012 we took a delayed honeymoon and I managed to gain 5lbs in a week.  I guess an all inclusive vacation with fantastic food and drinks will do that to you.

I didn't really get around to starting my weight loss journey until April 2012.  I was looking through photos of myself from a friends bridal shower and was really upset with how I was looking.  On top of that, a number of stories had been in the news about overweight women and complications with pregnancy and in some instances putting their unborn children at risk. I knew that when the time came for me to have children, I didn't want to put myself or my future children at risk. The earlier I started to try to get healthier the better.

I downloaded the MyFitnessPal (MFP) app to my iPhone and got going on calorie counting, set to one pound loss per week.  Over the coming weeks the Knotties taught me all about it! The ability to scan bar codes on products, entering your homemade recipes so you know exactly how many calories you are ingesting. Directing me to great food blogs like SkinnyTaste. It's food journal-ing made easy. Beyond that, there is a group of us doing this together. We watch each others updates on MFP, support each other, encourage each other and most importantly keep each other accountable!

It was hard at first, but I've stuck to it.  I never thought keeping track of every single piece of food that entered my mouth would make such a difference but it has. I have my good days and I have my bad days but I'm dedicated to making this work and reaching my goals. 

Of course logging calories is only half the battle.  More about the start of my exercise journey coming soon....

You can also check out what I've referred to at:
www.myfitnesspal.com
www.skinnytaste.com

Comments

  1. Hey Steph, keep up the good work. Your recipes look great. On Friday someone showed me a neat little tool that seems like it might jell with your blog's theme, a fitbit http://www.fitbit.com/. Take a look, I'm considering looking at getting one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric :) I will check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls