Share your goals from the beginning

Most of the time people diet in silence.  They decide they want to lose some weight but decide not to tell anyone because they think they can do it on their own or that no one will understand.  I know this because I was the same way.  Problem is, when it doesn't work out there is no one around to hold you accountable and you're definitely not going to get mad enough at yourself for cheating.

The more people you tell that you're making a lifestyle change, the better.  Yes I have a blog now, but there is no way I would have shared my story so publicly in the beginning. I'm saying tell your significant other, your family, your closest friends and your coworkers.  The more people that know, the more people will notice the change. They are also likely to ask you how it's going in a few weeks or a few months time and you want to tell them you've been working toward your goal. I have to say this is one of the best things I did, it helped me to know that people knew what I was working toward.

I think this is why the Weight Watchers program has been successful and people keep the weight off.  There are meetings and a community of people who keep you accountable.  You have weigh in's too where there is an expectation that you will lose your target weight goal every week.  Being accountable only to yourself often doesn't work for most people. 

My husband really held me accountable to the Couch to 5k Program, for example. There were so many nights that I didn't want to go for a run, I just didn't have it in me. He'd pester me into getting my butt off the couch and going out.  For 9 weeks straight.  Eventually I had the motivation to go myself but having someone else there who believes in you and pushes you to be your absolute best is such a wonderful thing. It really does help you achieve your goals.

I really encourage anyone who is trying to lose weight to not do it alone. Having someone there with you during the ups and downs of it makes the whole process more enjoyable and tolerable.  I have just as many good days as I do bad days with this. Temptation is everywhere and self control can be a tricky beast. Having support from those around you will make the biggest difference.  I say this from experience and from years of attempting to do it alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls