My relationship with food

Genetically speaking, I've got a large bone structure thanks to both sides of my family.  On top of that, I've naturally got a pretty slow metabolism. I never expect to be a lean 120 lbs, it's just not realistic.  That said, my genetics didn't force me to be as large as I was, or as I am now.  I have packed on more weight than I can blame my genes or metabolism on. Over the last 20 weeks I've been trying to sort out why it is that I can never keep the weight off.  After watching a few episodes of Extreme Make Over: Weight Loss Edition this summer, it hit me. I never thought of myself as an emotional eater, but I'm pretty sure I am.

When I'm stressed out I have a tendency to not eat enough, with my stomach in knots the last thing I want is food - this slows down my metabolism further. I always thought that my emotions couldn't be a contributor to my weight gain.  I forgot about other emotions, like happiness and unhappiness unrelated to stress levels.  There were a few things going on in my life over the last five years that that left me with really great highs and some not so great lows.  I fed my happiness and sadness with food. Different things effected me at different times but there always seemed to be something. I really didn't think I consumed more during these times but, between 2007 and 2012 I put on about 25 pounds.  That's about 5 pounds a year.   Not too noticeable year over year but quite a bit of weight over time.

During this weight loss program I've gotten frustrated and upset and just down on myself and the first thing I want to do is - you guessed it - eat.  Granted, my more recent frustrations have been about controlling food intake and making different choices which, makes me miss certain foods in ways I never thought I'd miss it.

This lifestyle change is more than just making healthier choices and trying to lose 43 lbs.  It is about changing my relationship with food. Changing the comfort that it gives me and breaking that bond.  I will always love food (especially cheeses and ice cream!) but those can only be treats now, not a staple in my diet (well, not unless it is a low calorie creamcicle!)

This program has also programmed me to really appreciate the foods I love.  When I have a really good exercise I do reward myself with food. It may or may not be the best way to do it but it is motivating to know I can treat myself to something I normally don't get to eat because I exercised a little harder that day.  Food is something to be enjoyed, but there is such a thing as making poor decisions and I was definitely making too many poor decisions.

The other side to my relationship with food is portion sizing but that is a topic for another day...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls