Calorie Counting + Vacation

A little off topic but thank you to those who read my blog. I'm well beyond 1000 page views and I can't believe that many people come by to read about all of this, so, thank you! 




Now onto the topic of the day, calorie counting on vacation. 

My goal on vacation was to enjoy the food I was eating and not gain any weight. Mission accomplished! I came home the exact same weight!!  What a relief. I was more than a little scared to step on the scale this morning. That said, we did do a lot of walking so it evened everything out and I'm not going to complain about that.

While I was in Italy I enjoyed pasta, bread, olive oil, a couple glasses of wine, cheese and gelato daily. I think I also had a "personal sized pizza" about 3 or 4 times during our vacation as well as big Italian panini's.  It was all so delicious and I often joked that this trip was my "food-cation." The food in Italy is so fresh, and tastes so great but it is also so rich.  That said, I did feel like there was a serious lack of vegetables there. Italians love salad which I usually like but I found it so bitter, I couldn't eat it which basically left me with tomatoes and the occasional peach.  There were days I didn't feel well from the over carbing, lack of veggies and/or too much rich food but, it was really nice to get a break from my low fat everyday diet at home and really just enjoy food for awhile. 

As much as I didn't want to calorie count during the vacation, I also didn't want to break my habit. I knew once I did that it would be a slippery slope coming home.  After all, I've already lost 23lbs and that's a huge accomplishment. I don't want to start getting lazy when trying to lose the next 20lbs.

It's hard to guess exactly how many calories you are really eating and even though with my guesstimates on MyFitnessPal saying I was under for the week I didn't lose anything.  This could be from a few things - the high level of carbs in my diet (which is abnormal) or the fact that the restaurant food was so much worse for me than I estimated or a positive spin, I gained some muscle mass from all the walking around (and a little bit of tennis!)

That said, not gaining any weight while actually enjoying food all week, is a huge plus and it makes me so very happy.

Here is the most delicious thing I've had. It's a Nutella type filling in a pastry shell. I could have eaten 10. Easily.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls