Is fat the worst thing you can be?



I saw this on Pinterest a few weeks ago. I pinned it and moved along but for weeks it stuck with me.  This however really made me think about how "fat" people are really looked down upon.  Often the definition of fat is "not Hollywood thin" which isn't the healthiest standard. I have been working so hard to lose weight because I want to be healthier and in order to be healthier I needed to increase my exercise, control my diet and lose some weight but a small tiny bit of me really does feel that being fat really isn't acceptable and people think less of you as a person. Which meant that people thought less of me.  If you can let yourself go in your appearance, what else will you not care about in your day to day life? or at work? People can be very judgmental.   I often felt like I was being judged by people.  Maybe it was just residual personal issues from being bullied about it as a child but, part of me thinks that that mentality does transfer over to some people in adult life. We rarely sit down and say to ourselves "gee, I'm really vindictive, I should work on that!"

Frankly, I'm guilty of this too.  Even in the few weeks leading up to deciding to make this change, I was really getting down on myself. Feeling worthless.  There was no reason for that, I was who I was and I am who I am now. I'm not perfect but, as this quotation says, there are a lot of things worse than being fat.  So anyone out there who is reading this and also trying to lose weight, just remember this quotation and as you fight the battle, know that there are always worse things than being a little fat. 

I'm going to take the opportunity to make another point.  You can't lose weight to please others or to feel like you'll fit in with societies image better. You need to lose weight because you want to do it for yourself, to be healthier and to be proud of yourself.  If it's not for you, it's not going to stick! 

Comments

  1. You are so right! There are a lot worse things you could be than fat, unfortunately, you cannot wear your accomplishments or personality on your sleeve. We are judged by how we look. There are even studies that show that attractive people are paid more than others. This is the sad truth of our society. Do it for yourself. Who cares what the others think because most thin people are just as miserable as over weight people. All any of us can do is make the best of what we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree. The more symmetrical your face the better off you are too. There are so many physical things that are judged before anything else and it's really unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls