Healthier Pumpkin Pie




It's that time of year. Pumpkin everything! 

I love pumpkin pie. It has to be one of my favourite fall treats.  I was determined to find a recipe that would have less calories than the store bought pies or homemade recipes I had tried previously.

I managed to find one and it tastes great. The biggest difference is that I can use 1% milk instead of evaporated milk in the recipe. Reduces the calories significantly.

Recipe I made (slightly adapted from original):

Half a large can of pureed pumpkin
1 Cup 1% Milk
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 unbaked pie shell (I used a premade Tenderflake all vegetable shortening shell)

Blend together dry ingredients.  Beat the eggs. Add the pumpkin to the egg.  Then add the dry ingredients.  Slowly blend in the milk.  Pour mixture into an unbaked pie shell. Bake at 425*F for 15 minutes then reduce heat and bake at 350*F for 40 minutes. 

This recipe works out to 207 calories per slice (based on 1/8 of the pie) plus the whip cream of your choice.  I researched pumpkin pie (both recipes and store bought) and on average they are between 260 and 310 calories/serving plus whip cream. Using milk helped me make a healthier pie.  Plus, you can't even taste the difference.  Definitely worth a try this fall!

Here is the original recipe if you'd like to follow it instead:
http://mamasweeds.com/2011/11/25/yes-you-can-make-pumpkin-pie-without-evaporated-milk/#

Comments

  1. Love this Steph, Pumpkin pie is my favorite fall item and I'm so glad taht I can have it and not think about the 400 calories I will be consuming! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls