I admit it, I hate exercise

After 6 months of truly busting my butt and getting into shape I thought that exercise might grow on me.  I've really hated it my whole life (yes, I do mean hate!)  After this much time, and this much weight loss I thought that exercise would be second nature to me and that I'd start to looking forward to my workouts.  I think the opposite is coming true.  I am strong and have no issues lifting weights, I can keep up with a Jillian Michaels DVD and I can run 5K. I'm in the best shape of my life but I don't want to do it at all... and that is the biggest problem. It is a daily struggle.

I admit it, I just don't find there to be anything enjoyable about it.  I never get a runners high, lifting weights doesn't really lift my spirits, circuit training often feels too repetitive and joining a team and playing sports doesn't interest me at all.  I'm not a huge fan of exercise with other people, I prefer getting exercise on my own. I also rarely get that nice burst of energy so many people talk about at the end of a workout.  All I want to do is relax after I exercise, decompress.

Lately, all I can think about is that this is what I'm looking at doing for the rest of my life. If I want to keep this weight off, I have to keep up this level of activity.  Right now it is at an all time high because of the shred but I've been exercising 3-4 days a week which is quite a commitment for me. That in itself is challenging for me. Thinking about having to keep up this level activity without any end date really makes my heart sink because I'm not entirely sure how sustainable it is for me.

How do you keep going and stay dedicated to something you don't enjoy? This is what I am working on right now.  How to stick to it and find a way to kind of enjoy it. Unfortunately, I haven't found that magic answer yet but I hope somewhere between now and 14lbs from now I have a solution. 

Comments

  1. Stephanie - if the exercise isn't motivating, know that your posting and honesty is definitely powerful! Keep it up, and though you may never learn to love exercising (I know I don't), you can love the results!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep it up! Remember right now you are exercising to lose weight but soon you will be exercising to maintain and stay healthy. That type of exercise doesn't have to be as "gym" intense. Try skiing, join a soccer team. Try to find an activity that doubles as a fun outing and it will be something you enjoy! Good Luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graeme - Thanks! I'm hoping I end up so fit that I am motivated to keep at it just so I don't lose it.

    perfectpairvideo - My husband has been trying for years to get me to go skiing! It absolutely terrifies me :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls