Stuffed Ricotta and Spinach Shells



Stuffed Ricotta and Spinach Shells were on my "freeze" list.  I finally got around to eating them and I am really quite happy with how they turned out!  They froze well and cooked well. Really delicious! Four shells are more than enough to fill you up.

Recipe:
  • 16 Jumbo Pasta Shells (I used Unico Brand)
  • 1/2 a package of frozen spinach, thawed and completely drained
  • 1 1/4 Cup Ricotta Cheese
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • salt to taste
  • Mozzarella and Red Sauce to desired amount.
Directions:
Boil water, and cook shells as per box instructions.  Once cooked, strain and let cool slightly.  While the pasta is cooking create your filling. Beat egg.  Add ricotta.  Once blended, mix in spinach, oregano and salt.  Divide filling into the 16 shells.  At this point you can cook them in the oven or freeze them.  I froze them without sauce.  When I cooked them from frozen, I put the sauce on top and baked at 375*F for 35 minutes.  Then I added the mozzarella and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes.  They were the perfect temperature and cooked through.

Each stuffed shell is 71 calories.  Of course, you'll need to add in the calories for the sauce and mozzarella depending on how much you use. I don't like to include those calories as everyone will use the amount they want! 

Recipe adapted from this recipe:
http://www.kraftcanada.com/EN/recipes/stuffed-shells-82696.aspx?cm_mmc=eml-_-mtdce-_-20120908-_-6009

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The ups and downs

30 Day Shred

Spinach & Ricotta Lasagna Rolls